Monday, June 22, 2009

Friday Night

Friday night we went to see the play Les Miserables with Jonathan's parents.

I am aware that Les Mis is said to be one of the most moving plays ever written. I myself performed in a rendition of it in my younger days. I played anonymous whore #3.

And I was moved... to laughter! HA! I haven't been to a play in some years and forgot how stupidly hilarious they are. I mean, they sing EVERYTHING. Not just when they are in love, or happy (and who doesn't feel like bursting into song from time to time?) but even when overcome with despair do these people sing.

"Sweet Jesus, my best friends have all been killed in a bloody massacre... Hi diddle de dee!"

It's off-putting to me.

At one point a small child took 6 bullets, and still this kid had a song in his heart. I was stifling my laughter in an exagerated fit of throat clearing.

When the lights came up at the end of the play, I looked around trying to catch the eye of anyone else who found the whole play as gut-bustingly hilarious as I did, but was confronted with only teary-eyed enthusiasts, my fiancee included.

When discussing the play in bed later that evening, I commented that it was perhaps a tad unrealistic for people to fall in love after locking eyes for 15 seconds on a crowded street. And maybe, just maybe, that one guy is a little obsessed with asking "who am I", then yelling "I'm JEAN VAL JEAN!" We get it; you have identity issues.

These opinions were met with a brief silence, then, out of the darkness beside me a small voice started singing "There is a castle on a cloud... I like to go there in my sleep" and I knew I was barking up the wrong tree on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment